Sunday, August 18, 2013

Spotlight: The Food Scene in Waco

My philosophy on travel is this: if you're not eating like the locals, you might as well be at home. Why bother going away anywhere just to visit the same chain restaurants you can find 10 miles from your house?

Instead, I go out of my way to find greasy spoons and dives the locals love, no matter where I go — and I go all over. No matter where you travel, finding good local cuisine is a must.

In Waco, I've spent a fair amount of time writing food reviews for some of the restaurants I've discovered. My favorite thing to do is pick a dish, like burgers or breakfast burritos, and get the lowdown on favorite local spots. Then, I visit several notable restaurants and rank them, picking my favorite. I've written several articles that way.

You can find the best burger in Waco at Dave's Burger Barn, which is located far off the beaten path, but has delicious fries and even offers a Man vs. Food style challenge called the Zipper Ripper. Doing the challenge is on my bucket list, even though I don't have any illusions about being able to finish. I'll end up on their "Wall of Shame" for sure.   Check out my article about burgers on the Lariat website. And if you want to find the best local breakfast burrito, I can help you with that, too.

No comments:

Post a Comment