Saturday, September 14, 2013

Living with a Bomb Dog

Willie at home 
I want you to understand something: Willie is the best dog I've ever had, but living with her is really hard. 

I don't want you to think that because I regard her behavior as difficult, I don't love her — that's absolutely not true — but I do want you to come away from this with a realistic picture about what life with one of these dogs is like.
  
Willie is a Belgian Malinois. She was bred in Germany and comes from a working line. Before she came into my life, she was an explosives detection dog (EDD) for Blackwater. 

Typically, dogs like Willie don't make great pets. In fact, they frequently wind up in shelters or the pound, victims to owners who don't do their homework before adopting their dogs. 

Working-line breeds are too intense for the average dog owner. In addition to her need for constant stimulation, Willie operates under a principle called "toy drive," which is a modified version of instinctual prey drive used in dog training. The desire to chase prey, is instead channeled into fetching toys. In Willie, this drive manifests in several ways; she's incredibly possessive and will fight other dogs to defend her toys or will grab items she's fixated on from the hands of strangers. 

When used properly, a game of fetch rewards Willie for positive behavior. It's also a basic need — Willie plays fetch for at least 30 minutes every day. I also make sure to incorporate regular obedience drills, to make sure she's sharp on following commands. She also typically gets about a one-hour, thirty-minute walk everyday before fetch. 

Because she is well taken care of, her behavior is good and I feel comfortable bringing her in public and around other people. But an unhappy Mal is a badly behaved Mal, and it could easily wind up being a danger to itself and others. On days where her needs aren't met, (for example, if I work late) she is rambunctious and more likely to get in trouble. (She also reacted negatively to my spilt with her dad, acting out kind of like a kid might).     

Pay close attention if you're adopting an older or retired dog about warnings for small children or other pets. Mals can be aggressive toward other animals. Willie has been in two fights. Because I know her temperament, I'm very careful when introducing her to new dogs, and I never leave her alone with another animal. I am equally careful when introducing her to children or people who are afraid of large dogs.   

With all of that said, Mals have the ability to bond very closely with their people. Willie and I enjoy a great relationship. I can easily read her body language, and she can read my emotions. She comforts me on my off days and I let her have the occasional bite of my ice cream cone. I love her. She goes everywhere with me. If I were in trouble, I know she would die to save me. My relationship with my dog is a huge source of fulfillment in my life. 

A Mal can be perfect for the right owner. But PLEASE, if you're thinking about getting one of these dogs, research the breed first. Talk to someone who has one. It's an everyday commitment. You can't skip out on its needs because you don't feel like taking care of it. And make sure you're prepared to handle all of its traits, like dog aggressiveness and toy drive. 

You can find out more about Belgian Malinois on Animal Planet's Breed Guide.  

No comments:

Post a Comment