Sunday, September 1, 2013

San Antonio and La Fogata: The Best Margaritas in Town

Greetings from San Antonio!


I recently spent a weekend here to catch up with my family for a quick vacation before we split off to our respective lives, me in Waco, and them in Beaumont. While I was in SA, I decided to check out the food. And the first stop was La Fogata, the winner of Channel 4's "Best Margaritas" award for 2013. It also came highly recommended. Several friends who live in San Antonio suggested La Fogata when I asked where to get the best Mexican food in town. 


You can find the restaurant's website here, complete with pictures of the food and menus.
It's a pretty popular restaurant, but there was only a 15-odd minute wait to be seated for our early dinner at 4:45. You wait in a large, pleasant courtyard outside, with tables, umbrellas, and streamers. The atmosphere is both relaxed and festive. You can access the bar by ordering through a quaint half-door by the hostess station.


                     

The drinks are served in large glasses complete with a fresh flower bloom (I'm sure it's edible, but I wouldn't recommend trying it. I've eaten enough flowers to know that generally, just because you CAN eat them doesn't mean you SHOULD). I tried the margarita in order to report back to you readers, but I really wanted a piƱa colada, so after a few sips, I declared myself done. It was a GREAT margarita and I recommend trying it, but it wasn't the best I've had in San Antonio. 

 A mariachi band was making the rounds through the restaurant while we waited for out table. With the drinks and the music, it was a pleasant wait, and it wasn't so crowded we couldn't find a place to sit. 

Once we made our way to the table, we started exploring the menu and chowing down on the hot sauce. It had a good, smoky flavor and was served warm. I couldn't stop eating it, despite not being very hungry when we arrived. For my entree, I ordered the tacos campesinos, which are described as 

"[three] rolled crispy corn tortillas filled with chicken, cheese and frijoles refritos. Topped with sour cream and queso fresco. Mixed cabbage, tomatoes and avocado on the side. Served with Mexican rice and frijoles refritos." 


It was delicious! I loved it, but since the tortillas were cooked and stiff, the incorporation of the side of veggies was problematic. Fortunately, I like avocados by themselves, but I wondered why the veggies were included at all, because there was no way to get them in the tacos, and onion slices and uncooked, unseasoned mixed cabbage isn't necessarily the most delicious or appetizing pairing. It could be just to add color to the plate, but I think La Fogata could work a little harder to make the veggies palatable — or make tacos that are easier to stuff yourself.

All in all, though, the restaurant was excellent. The atmosphere was fantastic, the food and drinks were good, and I loved the hot sauce. I'd definitely tell you to stop by if you're in town. The prices are about mid-range, I'd say, with an average of about $15 a plate. Come prepared to unbutton your jeans. 

No comments:

Post a Comment