Sunday, January 12, 2014

Day Two: An Open Sea Food Coma

What I wore: a sheer lotus-print silk blouse with my favorite aviators over  a blue bikini, my favorite silver rings. 
Day Two was spent on the boat, chugging from Galveston to Mexico. Shannon wanted to wake up early to explore, so I set my phone's alarm for seven. 

We didn't count on my awesome ability to sleep through things. 

My alarm did, indeed, go off at seven, but I don't know if I successfully slept until it gave up in frustration, or Shannon turned it off. I have scary news for you, my friends: human beings have evolved to be alarm-clock resistant. 

So I woke up at eleven, instead. Desperately in need of coffee, I stopped by the onboard coffee bar, Cafe Vienna. I had a white chocolate mochacchino with hazelnut syrup. It was delicious and only $3.50, which compares favorably to Starbucks. However, I didn't realize you can't pay in cash on the ship. Instead, you use your sail and sign card, a small ID card issued during the embarkation process. Since the cruise was booked on Shannon's mom's credit card, all charges would appear there. TAKE THAT INTO ACCOUNT WHEN YOU ARE BOOKING YOUR CRUISE.   

Remember how I told you there was food?

There was food.

In abundance.

By the end of the night, I was practically eating against my will. I typically eat only two meals a day,  and one of them is small. But the food available was just too tempting. I had a cheeseburger for lunch that was delicious, a sicilian meatball with ricotta at a taste bar, and then dinner: a strawberry bisque to start, followed by "marinated braised basa fillet with tomato, chili and fennel." Dessert that night was bitter and blanc, described as "dark and white chocolate pudding." They meant pudding in the English sense. It was a white, fluffy cakelike pastry, dusted in powdered sugar, with gooey dark chocolate, crowned by a white chocolate sauce. 


The entree. It was delicious and billed as (relatively) healthy. 
I went to sleep that night feeling like I would never be able to eat again. 

No comments:

Post a Comment