Sunday, November 24, 2013

Things to do in Central Texas: The Czech Stop WORLD FAMOUS Kolaches

I spent a lot of time in West, Texas after the explosion, covering the disaster for the Baylor Lariat. It was a pivotal moment in my career, but more importantly, I got to try every flavor of kolache at the Czech Stop bakery. 

To the uninitiated, yes, there is more than just "sausage" in terms of kolache fillings. The Czech Stop in West is famous for the variety and quality of their offerings. 

Lately, this small bakery located just off I-35 in West has expanded their repetoire to include new flavors, notably a pumpkin and a coconut creme. Each kolache will run you about $1.00 - $2.00. 


Before the explosion that put West on the map, the city was known for its deep Czech roots and for the annual Westfest, the biggest celebration of alcohol and Czech food I've ever attended. 

Anyway, the Czech Stop itself is world famous. People come from all over to get these kolaches, and pictures of famous people who've made the trek to kolache Mecca line the walls. If you're famous, make sure to bring an 8''-by-10'' to leave behind.  


Look! It's Willie Nelson! I also saw a picture of Shakira. 
A picture of the kolache selection. The one all the way hidden in the bottom is 'prune.' No, I've never seen anyone order one. 
Since I had already tried all of the 'normal' flavors like sausage and strawberry cream cheese, this time, I ordered a breakfast puff, a coconut cream,  pumpkin cream cheese and a pineapple one. I'm happy to report they were all delicious.

I was too chicken to try the prune. I'm only so adventurous, after all.  

No comments:

Post a Comment